Monday, March 2, 2020

Anselm of Canterbury

Anselm of Canterbury (c.1033―1109) was a theologian, and philosopher who was born in what is now northwest Italy. He is known for his ontological argument for the existence of God ― and for clearly teaching that salvation could only be paid for by the God-man Jesus Christ.

In 1060 he entered the Benedictine monastery at Bec, and by 1078 was elected its abbot. Under Anselm, Bec became a European centre for learning. On a visit to England he was named Archbishop of Canterbury by William the Conqueror ― who had established Norman control of England in 1066. Anselm served in this role from 1093 until his death.

Let Me Seek You By Desiring You

Lord Jesus Christ; Let me seek you by desiring you,
and let me desire you by seeking you;
let me find you by loving you,
and love you in finding you.

I confess, Lord, with thanksgiving,
that you have made me in your image,
so that I can remember you, think of you, and love you.

But that image is so worn and blotted out by faults,
and darkened by the smoke of sin,
that it cannot do that for which it was made,
unless you renew and refashion it.

Lord, I am not trying to make my way to your height,
for my understanding is in no way equal to that,
but I do desire to understand a little of your truth
which my heart already believes and loves.

I do not seek to understand so that I can believe,
but I believe so that I may understand;
and what is more,
I believe that unless I do believe, I shall not understand.

Entry written by D.S. Martin. His latest poetry collection is Ampersand (2018, Cascade). His books are available through Amazon, and Wipf & Stock, including the anthologies The Turning Aside, and Adam, Eve, & the Riders of the Apocalypse.