Monday, January 9, 2023

Margaret Kellermann

Margaret Kellermann is a multi-faceted artist, expressing herself through writing, visual art and music. Her latest publication is a middle-grade novel, Annie California: Book One (2021, Beachdog). Her earlier books (prior to 2011) were written under the name of Margaret D. Smith, including the poetry collections A Holy Struggle: Unspoken Thoughts of Hopkins (1992, Shaw), and Barn Swallow (2006, Brassweight Press). She lives in Humboldt County, in northern California.

She has said, "As a writer, artist and musician, I find myself doing art in a struggle to understand how to be in love with God, who refuses to be understood, even as he begs to be in relationship. God’s presence in me is like a grain of sand. He neither shows himself visibly nor goes away, and this agitates me daily. So I cover and cover that holy irritation with layers from my own core."

The following poems are taken from anthologies; the first, "Lily", appeared in A Widening Light, and the second, "Moon", appeared in Odd Angles of Heaven.

Lily
A lily shivered
at His passing,
supposing Him to be
the Gardener

Moon

It is colder here than on the moon. At least
it is light there.

There is no singer on earth like the moon,
except the owl.

Where the coyote runs, I see the moon
stand off, watching.

Echoes of God come dancing back
from the dark lake.

In the middle of God, the moon.

How can I bear to pass by?
I will stay the night.

Look, the moon is ebbing,
one wave lapping in.

Sometimes it is hard to trust
one's eyes.

If this is the way I should go―
at least the winter moon goes with me.

Posted with permission of the poet.

Entry written by D.S. Martin. He is the author of five poetry collections including Angelicus (2021, Cascade) ― a book of poems written from the point-of-view of angels. His books are available through Wipf & Stock.